Our blog is dedicated to seasonal living: cooking with local produce (sometimes our own), sewing for the home and searching out vintage bargains.

We believe that most of the pleasure is in the journey - in the making and creating, even if in a simple way.

Thursday 24 February 2011

Soup and sunshine

Carrot and coriander soup

I finally peeled some carrots to make soup.  I'm just giving an estimated guess of measurements here as I didn't bother to weigh anything at the time...that's slapdash for you!

1 large onion, finely chopped
2 oz butter
1 and a half lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
2 pints chicken stock
handful fresh coriander, chopped or 2 tsp dried

Melt the butter in a large pan.  Add the chopped onion and soften gently for a five minutes.  Add the carrots and cook for a further five minutes.  Add chicken stock and coriander and cook for about half an hour until softened.
Liquidise in food processor in batches.  Return to the pan, season and heat through to serve. 

Meanwhile in the garden the winter jasmine is flowering away cheerfully.  A summer jasmine grows on this same trellis, but isn't quite so pretty right now...that's because I took the secateurs to it for a major prune, something I'd been putting off for several years...and broke my secateurs in the process. 
It'd got to the stage where it had wrapped aroung the guttering and threatened to take over the garage roof.  Hope the poor plant recovers because it looks in a very sorry state...just a few bare sticks! 

6 comments:

  1. I love Carrot and Coriander soup!
    Your Jasmine is so pretty. I expect it will thrive,your pruning will have done it good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - you can't beat homemade soup! I might have to prune our winter jasmine once it's finished flowering as it seems very leggy, not sure if it's supposed to be like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi
    your carrot and coriander soup looks very delicious.my winter jasmine is also flowering,i love this flower.
    have a nice day,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. DELIGHTFUL INVITATION TO A VERY ENJOYABLE BLOG.tHANKS FOR DOING IT. JULIA/BLUE BIRD :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrot and coriander is one of my favourite soups. I have some artichokes and plan to try Delia's recipe for carrot and artichoke soup during the week. The winter jasmine always give a lovely touch of sunshine to dark, grey days, let's hope your summer jasmine springs to life again after it's pruning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrot and corriander has got to be one of my favourites! Great choice for early spring cheerfulness. Ros

    ReplyDelete